- Bookmark – I have my grandmother’s old St. Joseph Missal from long ago – something like 1960 or the like. She kept many holy cards in that book. I have a few in my bible that mark my favorite places.
- Greeting Card Insert – Whether it’s Christmas cards or Birthday cards, a prayer card is a little extra something that the recipient will hold onto long after the greeting card has been forgotten.
- Love Note – Just like that sticky note I like to leave for my husband every now and then, a holy card can become a love note.
4. Evangelize – Keep a stash of cards with you and when you come across someone who is struggling in their life, give them a prayer card. It will be a little bit of light during a hard time. About 7 years ago man who I held the door open for at a store handed me a prayer card. I still have it, and I still think of him to this day and say a little prayer for him. That small gesture is still fresh in my mind.
5. Reminder – Keep a prayer taped to your mirror so you can pray it every morning and night while you brush your teeth.
6. Handouts – We had a child ask for a stack of 50 St. Patrick prayer cards to hand out at his Catholic school’s Saint Museum Day project. The students dressed up as their favorite saint and would tell visitors about them. Each of his visitors went away with a prayer.
7. Commemorate an Occasion – For weddings use the bride and groom’s patron saints’ prayer cards as favors. It’s inexpensive, meaningful, and best of all prompts guests to pray for the new couple. There are prayer cards for First Communion, Reconciliation, Easter baskets, Christmas and so much more. I once gave my boss a prayer card for Boss’s Day and later saw that he had it clipped to his visor in his car – that really made me feel valued.
8. “Thinking of You” Token – When a friend becomes ill and there is not much you can do, sending them a healing holy card lets them know that you are thinking about them and you are praying for them.
9. Thank You Note – A quick, handwritten note in the margins of a card, or even a sticky note stuck to a prayer card adds meaning for the recipient.
10. Keepsake – Carry your favorite prayer in your purse or pocket. One of our favorites artists has aluminum prayer cards that last forever, so no worries about wearing it out. Pick a favorite prayer and keep it with you at all times.